Are you thinking about starting a career in the mining industry? At Roy Hill, we offer a wide range of different positions that can offer you a rewarding and long-lasting career.
Before deciding on the right job for you, things to consider include:
- Your interests – reflect on what you are good at, what interests you and what you enjoy doing.
- Your lifestyle – if you’re looking at doing FIFO or residential in a remote area, you need to consider whether it is a lifestyle that you’re comfortable with and whether it will suit your home/family life.
- Am I qualified? – depending on what career path you are looking at, you may be required to obtain a certain qualification.
Tips and tricks
We are always on the lookout for people who have the right mix of skills, knowledge, leadership and motivation to operate one of Australia’s largest and most innovative integrated iron ore mining, rail and port operations. We are looking for people who demonstrate our values of Lead, Care, Think, Perform and who have a positive mindset, are willing to work hard and perform as part of a committed and supportive team.
When recruiting we use behavioural-based interviews, values testing and assessment centres to select candidates that align to our values. Assessment centres involve a half-day of interviews and practical assessments that might include games and construction challenges.
Here are some tips to help you to get you started:
Update your resume
Ensuring that you have an excellent resume that captures people’s attention is key and even the smallest of details can have a big impact. Examples include making sure you:
- include a professional email address (e.g. consists of your first and last name),
- clearly highlight your main skills,
- list your experience and previous roles in order of most relevance,
- include any relevant training or educational qualifications,
- use consistent formatting, and
- ensure that there are no spelling or grammatical errors.
Similar to your resume, having a winning cover letter with great attention to detail is key. Examples include:
- ensuring all of your contact details are up to date,
- addressing the letter to the hiring manager,
- referring to the specific job title in the first sentence of your cover letter,
- only including information relevant to the role you are applying for,
- highlighting the best of your resume,
- matching your skills to the criteria outlined in the job advert, and
- showing interest and high-level understanding of the company.
Answer questions using STAR
When answering questions apply the STAR concept – first describe the Situation, then the Tasks, what Actions you were responsible for and finally what the Result was. This concept can be applied to both addressing the criteria in your cover letter as well as answering questions in your interview.
If you are progressed to the interview stage, make sure you are prepared. Do your research and practice answering some of the questions you think you will be asked. Think about the different examples you can use from your previous experience, and how this will benefit Roy Hill to make you successful in this role.
At Roy Hill, we are building a culture of learning and innovation. One of the career development tools that we provide to our employees is the Learn2Learn App, which is a pocket-sized course, coach and cheat sheet that helps you learn faster and smarter via;
- short animations,
- engaging infographics,
- a quick reference guide, and
- a personalised action list.
This app is a great resource that can be purchased and downloaded by anyone. To find out more click here.
Lead | Care | Think | Perform
Roy Hill. Evolving Mining.